Frequently Asked Questions and How Do I...?
This section of the Judicial Branch website is intended to provide answers to questions frequently asked about the court system. Nothing on these pages should be considered legal advice and none of the information is intended to take the place of legal counsel. Click on the category below that relates to your question. Contact the Judicial Branch Webmaster if you can't find the answer you need, or if you think we should add something to the site.
- Accessibility for the Disabled
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (CADRES)
- Business and Consumer Court
- Complaint against a Judge or lawyer
- Drug Court
- Family Division
- Foreclosure Diversion Program FAQs for Homeowners
- Foreclosure Diversion Program FAQs for Attorneys
- Guardians Ad Litem
- Office of Court Security
- Small Claims
- Traffic Violations
- Tenants & Landlords
- Wills, Estates, & Probate Matters
If the subject area you are looking for is not represented in the list above, please check the "How Do I...?" section.
- Where can I find general Information about Small Claims?
See our Small Claims pages in this site, and the Guide to Small Claims Proceedings in District Court.
- Where can I get assistance with Small Claims forms preparation?
See the Small Claims Forms Preparation page from Pine Tree Legal Assistance.
- Where can I find legal information for tenants and landlords?
Resources for Landlord/Tenant Law in Maine from HelpMELaw.
- Wills, estates and other probate matters are under the jurisdiction of each County Register of Probate. See below for telephone numbers for each county.
- County Registers of Probate
- Androscoggin County - (207) 782-0281
- Aroostook County - (207) 532-1502
- Cumberland County - (207) 871-8382
- Franklin County - (207) 778-5888
- Hancock County - (207) 667-8434
- Kennebec County - (207) 622-7558
- Knox County - (207) 594-0427
- Lincoln County - (207) 882-7392
- Oxford County - (207) 743-6671
- Penobscot County - (207) 942-8769
- Piscataquis County - (207) 564-2431
- Sagadahoc County - (207) 443-8218
- Somerset County - (207) 474-3322
- Waldo County - (207) 338-2780
- Washington County - (207) 255-6591
- York County - (207) 324-1577
More information is available at http://www.maineprobate.net/
- ...get help if someone is threatening to hurt me? How can I obtain protection from Domestic Violence?
Please review our booklet: A Guide to Protection From Abuse and Harassment Actions.
See Protection from Abuse from Pine Tree Legal.
Protection from Abuse (PA) forms are available in the forms section of this site.
- ...learn more about the child protection case process?
Please see the Handbook for Parents & Legal Guardians in Child Protection Cases on this site.
- ...do find information on Domestic matters like Divorce, Separation and Parental rights?
Directory of web sites for legal assistance - Pine Tree Legal Assistance
General information Pamphlet (PDF) on Divorce and Separation from the Maine Bar Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print this document.
Guide to the Process - Divorce and Parental Rights - Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- ...file a small claims matter in the Maine Court system?
See our Small Claims FAQ section on this site.
- ...file a complaint against a Lawyer?
The Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar was created by the Supreme Judicial Court of Maine in 1978 to govern the conduct of lawyers as officers of the Court. Please review the "How to File a Complaint" section of their website.
- ...file a complaint against a Judge?
Any person who has a complaint about a judge?s behavior may seek the assistance of the Committee on Judicial Responsibility and Disability. The Supreme Judicial Court has given the Committee the responsibility to independently investigate alleged violations of the Maine Code of Judicial Conduct by a judge.
- ...find a Lawyer?
The Maine Bar Association provides helpful information about finding a lawyer and offers a referral service.
- ...represent myself in a legal matter?
See our Representing Yourself page in this site.
- ...file for bankruptcy?
- ...find resources for families in the Maine courts?
- ...get a court order against a neighbor or acquaintance who is harassing me?
See Protection from Harassment from Pine Tree Legal Assistance.
- ...find information about a case?
The Judicial Branch does not post docket or case information on its website. For information about a case, please contact the clerk’s office where the case is being heard.
- ...get a copy of a birth certificate, marriage certificate, or death certificate?
Certified copies of birth, death, or marriage records from 1923 to the present are available from the Office of Vital Records. Divorce records from 1892 through the present may be obtained from the Office of Vital Records.
- ...get a copy of a will?
Wills, estates and other probate matters are under the jurisdiction of each County Register of Probate.
- ...find resources for people with disabilities?
See our accessibility section in this site.
- ...find the sex offender registry?
The Sex Offender Registry Web Site is maintained by the Maine State Police, State Bureau of Identification and is intended to provide the public information concerning the location of registered offenders currently within Maine.
- ...contact my probation officer?
Adult Community Corrections is divided into four regions with numerous suboffices. The main offices are in:
- Portland (Region 1)
- Auburn (Region 2)
- Augusta (Region 3) and
- Bangor ( Region 4)
To locate phone numbers and addresses please visit the Department of Corrections website http://www.maine.gov/corrections/adult/
- ...find Maine Laws?
Maine laws are available on the Office of the Revisor of Statutes web page. www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/search.htm