First Call Pilot in Bangor and Rockland Courts
TIPS FOR HOMEOWNERS COMING TO COURT
- Plan to spend the morning in court. Have a good breakfast or bring a snack.
- Plan to get to the courthouse by 8:15 a.m. for your informational session. The session will begin promptly, and important information is provided by a judge and a housing counselor. You won't want to miss anything.
- Expect to be at the courthouse until 12:30 p.m. Most people will spend some of that time waiting for their turn in mediation. You will have a place to sit in a large room with tables.
- Meet with a housing counselor or lawyer while you are waiting for mediation. It is a good idea to make use of the opportunity to speak with them about your case. (You should consider meeting with a housing counselor before the day of mediation if you wish.)
- To get ready for mediation, make a list of where your money comes from and figure out about how much money you bring in each month. If you have savings, write that down too.
- If you have paystubs from a current job, bring the last two you have received.
- You will spend about 30-40 minutes with the mediator, the lender's lawyer, and the lender. Usually, the lender will be on the phone. Be prepared to talk about what you want to do with your home ? keep it, sell it, or let it go in foreclosure.