John Doe # 1 & John Doe # 2 v. Slattery (Cumberland County Superior Court)
The Maine Judicial Branch has set up a web page for posting of information in the case of John Doe # 1 & John Doe # 2 v. Slattery (Cumberland County Superior Court). We have prepared this page to assure full access to the media and the public without compromising the litigants' right to a full and fair trial. It is our goal to accommodate the media and the public to the best of our abilities. All public documents (documents that are non-confidential and not sealed) will be available on this page, and will not be provided by the clerk's office, except to law enforcement or other government agencies. Please check this web page often for updates and documents related to the case.
Case Name: John Doe # 1 & John Doe # 2 v. Slattery
Docket Number: CUMSC-CV-12-424
The documents below are in PDF format. In order to open the documents below, you will need the a current version Adobe Reader. You may download the free version of Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- October 15, 2012: Motion to Proceed Under Pseudonym
- October 15, 2012: Plaintiffs' Complaint for Declaratory Judgement and Injunctive Relief Enjoining Prosecutions; For Declaratory Judgment and Injunctive Relief Enjoining Publication of Their Names Pursuant to a Police Blotter or Otherwise: Motion for Preliminary and Permanent Injunction; and Motion For Temporary Restraining Order.
- October 15, 2012: Order on Plaintiff's Motion for Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)
- October 16, 2012: Motion by MaineToday Media, Inc. to Intervene; Proposed Order on the Motion to Intervene; Motion by MaineToday Media, Inc. for Expedited Reconsideration; Proposed Order on the Motion for Expedited Reconsideration; and Request for Hearing on the Motion to Intervene and the Motion for Expedited Reconsideration
- October 17, 2012: Order (Dated October 16, 2012)
- October 17, 2012: Notice of Voluntary Dismissal of Complaint Pursuant to M.R. Civ. P. 41 (a) (1) (i)
Attorney for John Doe #1 & #2
Stephen Schwartz, Esq.
Schwartz & Schwartz PA
482 Congress Street
P. O. Box 15337
Portland, ME 04112-5337
Attorney for MaineToday Media, Inc
Sigmund D. Schutz, Esq.
P. O. Box 9546
Portland, ME 04112-9546
Courthouse: Cumberland County Superior Court
Courthouse Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 PM Monday through Friday
Cameras and Audio Recording in Courtrooms
Maine has strict rules about whether or when cameras are permitted to be used in the courtroom, and in every case, the presiding justice may impose additional conditions to assure a fair trial. Such additional conditions may include, pooling of cameras.
Information about cameras and audio recording equipment is available in Administrative Order JB-05-15 ( A. 9-11).
The form to request audio or camera coverage can be found below:
Media Notification -- Requested Coverage of Court Proceedings (Fillable PDF)
This is a new form to be used by members of the media who are requesting media coverage in District or Superior court proceedings. All forms should be submitted at least 24 hours in advance of the proceedings to the Clerk of Court office that is handling the case. In order to open the form, you will need the a current version Adobe Reader. You may download the free version of Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Electronic Devices: Administrative Order JB-05-16 (A. 5-08) Use of other electronic devices, such as a laptop, tablets and smart phones is prohibited without the consent of the judge.
No telephone calls please.
Interviews: No interviews may be conducted inside the Courthouse, and entrances are not to be blocked.
Decorum: Recording personnel shall wear appropriate and neat attire consistent with participation in matters of serious concern. Neither the camera nor the recording personnel shall have any insignia or other indication of organizational affiliation. The use of any electronic device in the courtroom is prohibited without the written consent of the presiding justice. Place all cell phones in vibrate or silent mode. Violators will be removed from the courtroom.
Members of the media who require further assistance can contact Mary Ann Lynch, Director of Court Information or the Judicial Branch webmaster at email@example.com. Ms. Lynch may be reached at (207) 592-5940 or via email Mary.Ann.Lynch@courts.maine.gov.