Latest News & Announcements
- April 23, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure to reduce time for filing briefs in appeals from certain types of trial court orders. Comments due by May 23, 2014.
- April 22, 2014: Judge Jeffrey Moskowitz Named Deputy Chief Judge of the Maine District Court
- March 20, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on amendments to Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure regarding obtaining and using location and content information of cell phones and other portable electronic devices. Comments due by April 11, 2014.
- February 24, 2014: State of Judiciary scheduled for Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
- February 19, 2014: FDP Announces Release of Annual Report. On February 13, 2014, the Foreclosure Diversion Program submitted its annual report to the Joint Standing Committee on Insurance and Financial Affairs and the Joint Standing Committee on Judiciary of the 126th Maine Legislature. The report provides information about the performance of the Foreclosure Diversion Program, including statistical data, covering calendar year 2013 (January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013). No legislative changes were requested. The Foreclosure Diversion Program Manager can be reached by email at email@example.com to answer any questions.
- January 11, 2014: MEDIA ADVISORY. An email scam alleging "illegal software use"has been reported in other states that says recipients are expected or ordered to appear in an unspecified state court. Anyone receiving such an email in Maine should not open any attachments or click on links in the emails. A notice about upcoming court appearances in Maine would not be given to state residents in this manner. In other states, these emails have impersonated the domain names of well known national law firms and may contain an attachment, supposedly a court notice or summons, or may contain a link to a website. Some reports say that the attachment or link may download a virus onto the user's computer or device. Maine people should know that they are never summonsed to court via an email.
- December 20, 2013: Maine Supreme Judicial Court to Honor and Recognize Interpreters on January 14, 2014
- December 19, 2013: Advisory Committee on Professional Responsibility invites comments and announces public hearing on proposed amendments to Rules of Professional Conduct regarding fees.
- December 18, 2013: Court Announces Employee and Volunteer Service Awards for 2013
- The Media and Courts Committee will meet on Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at the Cumberland County Courthouse in the Feeney Conference Room. FMI: firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 13, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on the following proposed amendments to rules and an administrative order resulting from technical needs and new legislation:
- October 7, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court Recognizes Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Hancock County Attorneys for Legal Aid to the Elderly and Needy
- October 4, 2013: REVISED SCEHDULE FOR CAPE ELIZABETH - Supreme Judicial Court to Hold Court at High Schools in Orono, Newport, and Cape Elizabeth
- October 1, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites amicus briefs on the applicability of the protection from abuse statute to online revenge posts
- September 30, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites amicus briefs on whether refusal to consent to a warrantless search of a person to obtain a DNA sample is privileged under the Fourth Amendment and the Constitution of the State of Maine
- September 17, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court announces expansion of audio streaming service to include recent oral arguments
- September 4, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court cancels public hearing and withdraws proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure relating to maximum time arrestee may be held before initial appearance
- August 30, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed amendments to Administrative Order JB-12-1 regarding electronic recording of court proceedings.
- August 19, 2013: Chief Justice Saufley encourages participation in the Katahdin Counsel Recognition Program
- August 9, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court to Hold Court at High Schools in Orono, Newport, and Cape Elizabeth - Fall 2013
- August 6, 2013: On behalf of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, the Chief Justice seeks final recommendations from the Guardian ad Litem Stakeholders Group after receiving a report from the Maine Family Law Advisory Commission.
- July 23, 2013: Maine Civil Legal Services Fund Commission's Announcement of Applications for 2014 and 2015 and Notice of Public Hearing
- July 19, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court to hold public hearing on proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure relating to maximum time arrestee may be held before initial appearance
- June 24, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure
- May 17, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court Announces Amendment to the Maine Code of Judicial Conduct Canon 3(B)(12) (Eff. June 1, 2013)
- April 30, 2013: Maine Voices: Lawyers in Libraries -- in case you get the book thrown at you (This link will re-direct to the Portland Press Herald site)
- April 29, 2013: Lawyers to be stationed in libraries across state to offer free legal advice ( Think link will re-direct to the Bangor Daily News site)
- March 6, 2013: Recommendations for Amending the Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem Report to the Supreme Judicial Court by the Guardian Ad Litem Stakeholders Group
This report has been received by the Supreme Judicial Court. The Court will next consider the recommendations and determine the next steps.
- March 5, 2013: SJC invites final comments on proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure regarding formal offers for plea agreements
- February 8, 2013: SJC invites comments on proposed amendments to Maine Rules of Probate Procedure and revisions to probate forms
- February 8, 2013: SJC has determined not to adopt proposed Maine Rules for Parenting Coordinators
- January 30, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court invites amicus briefs on Superior Court's dismissal of invasion-of-privacy counts in State of Maine v. Mark W. Strong Sr.
- January 18, 2013: Notice about parking at Biddeford District Court on January 31- February 1, 2013
- January 10, 2013: Supreme Judicial Court Invites Comments on Proposed Rules for Parenting Coordinators
- January 1, 2013: Notice Regarding Dissolution of the Maine CANEP Program Maine CANEP Advisory Panel
View older news
Cameras and Audio Recording in Courtrooms
Information about cameras and audio recording equipment is available in Administrative Order JB-05-15 ( A. 9-11).
This is a new form to be used by members of the media who are requesting media coverage in District or Superior court proceedings. All forms should be submitted to the Clerk of Court office that is handling the case. In order to open the form, you will need the a current version Adobe Reader. You may download the free version of Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Members of the media who require further assistance can contact Mary Ann Lynch, Director of Court Information. Ms. Lynch may be reached at (207) 592-5940 or via email Mary.Ann.Lynch@courts.maine.gov.